Mavado real name David Brooks glows at Rebel Salute 2011


Singjay Mavado has used his given name on both his albums, the 2007 ' Gangsta for Life: The Symphony of David Brooks' and 'Mr Brooks: A Better Tomorrow' (2009) , so performing as David Brooks on Rebel Salute 2011 was not novel. And he has intoned 'Selassie I' repeatedly on his records .However, when he hit the stage at Port Kaiser Sports Club, St Elizabeth, at 6 a.m. on Sunday, locks swinging and teeth glistening in a perpetual smile, David Brooks glowed well beyond any expectations of a novelty performance.

And when he put together his material which skirts under the ladies' skirts and 'gangster-for-life-ism', he came up with a powerful package that enthralled the thousands who roared and waved flags. They cheered before they saw David Brooks, who sang his Rebel Salute greeting from off-stage, adding "fall, rain, fall" before stepping sprightly on stage with the line "Jah wet them up." "See me ya!" Brooks said, going into the prayerful I'm on the Rock . He put effort into his delivery, ensuring that the words and lines connected, holding the last work of " your name is so excellent". "Yeah. Selassie I live. Big up Garnet Silk. Big up Tony Rebel," Brooks said, stepping up the tempo with Hope and Pray and setting a rag waving example for the crowd. He semi-crooned "brighter day" and the people roared as he hit We Shall Overcome . "Make me see all the Gullyside people!" Brooks demanded and, as the hands went up, he informed, "Even if me lef' the Gully, don't worry." Pulling the buttons on his long-sleeve shirt to show his white undershirt , Brooks said, "This morning we sober. No alcoholic beverages. A roots wine me say me a drink this morning. You know why?" he asked, segueing into I' m So Special . However, Brooks was careful to do only a line from the song, as the following line says, "That's why me strap with me 45 special." homage to bounty He paid homage to Bounty Killer and, grinning broadly, said, "Them say Gully God, a Rasta you a sing fa. Big up Tony Rebel." Again he hit a song which required editing not to go overboard, Last Night , which hit hard with the audience. Brooks asked for permission to take off his jacket , and received it, musing, "Jah Jah is coming soon," clad in a white T-shirt. There were the standard exits and expected re-entries to the stage, although the MC did not have to work to get the audience to holler for more. Brooks noted a change in himself which goes beyond the performance, saying, "You notice you nuh see me from las' year. But you hear me, don'? You glad fe hear me a sing song to Jah? Oonu know me when me head did hot an' me a talk pure tings. Oonu say cool," Brooks said. "Big up my father inna Zion wid Bob Marley and Garnet Silk an dem man deh," Mavado said. He also hailed "the American, Canadian, the English. Oonu know me no have no visa but me deh home. An' me have me people dem". And he went into Starlight , again to tremendous effect. After Again and Again Brooks instructed the band "play suppen more! Anything!" That 'anything' turned out to be 'Still Stan Up' and, when he asked "Can I go home now?" the audience still stood up and roared "No!" "Me cyaa go home till me sing some more songs, songs like this," Brooks said, and delivered Messiah. Then, with a final song he was off.
Source Jamaica Star

Comments

  1. Thanks , I've recently been searching for info about this subject for ages and yours is the best I have discovered till now. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about the supply?
    Here is my page :: diets that work fast for women

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Crazy things women do for men

MAN SHORTAGE AFFECTS CHURCHES IN JAMAICA - Christian women complain of lack of potential husbands