Usain Bolt wins the mens 200m in London, Jamaica gets 123


Jamaica won all medals on offer in the mens 200m race in London Thursday night.  Usain Bolt powered to 200m gold to become the first man to successfully defend both Olympic sprint titles.  Bolt, who retained his 100m crown on Sunday, led home a Jamaica one-two-three in a time of 19.32 seconds.  Yohan Blake took silver in 19.44, with Warren Weir in third with 19.84.


The 25-year-old Jamaican powered home in 19.32 seconds, just a fraction outside the Olympic record of 19.30 - and he raised the roof on the Olympic Stadium by dropping to the track and celebrating by doing press-ups.  Yohan Blake and Warren Weir made it a Jamaica one-two-three. American Wallace Spearmon came fourth.

Bolt was pushed all the way by Blake, his friend and training partner, whom many suggested could beat the defending champion. Having repeated his feat from Beijing, Bolt is the only man to have won both the 100m and 200m at two successive Olympics. 

Bolt celebrated by kissing the track, hugging spectators, dropping and performing a set of press-ups and striking his lightning pose, before embracing compatriots Blake and Weir - who secured silver and bronze.

He then told the BBC: "This is what I wanted and I got it. I'm very proud of myself. I had a rough season, I came out here and I did what I had to do.

'We've been working hard all season. We pushed ourselves, we pushed each other and we're happy."
Asked if he could have had a world record, Bolt added: "I think it was possible...but I guess I wasn't fit enough. I was fast but I wasn't fit enough.

'I came off the corner, I could feel the strain on my back a little bit so I was trying to keep my form, but
I stopped running because I knew it wasn't going to be a world record. When I came off the corner I could feel it.

'It was hard. I really dedicated [myself] to my work, I know what London meant to me. I came here and I gave it my all and I'm proud of myself.
'I didn't get a world record - I really wanted to do it in the 200m - but I'm happy."
Blake said: 'Usain Bolt has been motivating me all season. Everything has been going good so far."
Third-placed Weir added: "It's a great honour to come here and do what the country wanted, to get the top three.

'The love in London is very, very good."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Crazy things women do for men

MAN SHORTAGE AFFECTS CHURCHES IN JAMAICA - Christian women complain of lack of potential husbands