Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mavado and Kartel show in Barbados in limbo











In Barbados, a show planned for this weekend featuring controversial dancehall artistes Mavado and Vybz Kartel remains in limbo.

There has been little information coming from joint organisers, promoter Jack Farrell and the Barbados Youth Action Programme, a Government affiliate under the chairmanship of Independent Member of Parliament Hamilton Lashley.

In a radio interview Monday, Mr. Farrell, said he was "calling off" the show because of opposition from the police and members of the public.

But he later retracted the position on the advice of his lawyers.

Reports later indicated the promoters had applied to the Royal Barbados Police Force for licences to play loud music and to sell alcoholic beverages.

Superintendent of the Bridgetown Division, Lybron Sobers, confirmed receiving the applications but said approval would be based on the results of investigations into Saturday's proposed show.

A meeting is scheduled for Tuesday involving the organisers and the police.

Commissioner of Police Darwin Dottin, several parliamentarians and Cabinet ministers, including Minister of Education Ronald Jones, have also expressed opposition to the show.

They have argued that the artistes who only last year called an end to a bitter feud promote violence in their lyrics and would be a bad influence on the youth of Barbados.

The organisers have however argued that the show was not solely for profit but would use the popularity of the two dancehall artistes in a bid toto stem some of the violence that is plaguing the society.

No comments:

Post a Comment